Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday Thoughts

As I type this, I am sitting in the truck with my wonderful man on the way to Dallas. Thanks to modern technology, I have spent a good part of the trip surfing the net and reading blogs and Facebook posts about Good Friday. As I read, the thoughts kept coming and of course I felt compelled to write. 

The most profound thought that I have meditated over on this Good Friday is one that John Piper wrote about today: God created the universe for Good Friday. Wow.

Revelation 13:8 "Everyone [will worship the beast] whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain." 

Please read that passage again! The book of life of the Lamb that was slain was written before the creation of the universe. God made this universe with the purpose of displaying his glory supremely and ultimately in the crucifixion of the Son to provide propitiation for sinners. This leaves me humbled and speechless. How awesome is our God?

Secondly, I have thought about the cross. The cross is a symbol of the torturous death Christ endured.  I have become far to comfortable with this symbol, using it as a house decoration and jewelry adornment. Sometimes I forget the blood, pain and gruesomeness that should be associated with the cross. I would never put an electric chair on my wall or around my neck  because I understand culturally what it represents. I am not saying it is necessarily wrong to have a cross in your home or on your neck, but I don't want to forget what the cross really was, and in effect forget the suffering of the Savior.

I pray that you have taken time to meditate on the death of Jesus today, because it is by his stripes that we are healed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment