Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Titus 2 Woman

If you have been around me for any length of time, you may have heard me say the phrase “A Titus 2 Woman.”  I have always held this passage near and dear to my heart as it describes what the relationships between both the men and the women in the church should look like.

Recently, I read the book Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother. If you are a woman, you should read this book (even if you are not a wife or mother).  Carol Mahaney does a fantastic job explaining the seven virtues listed in Titus 2 and applying them to women today. Girls, this is a book that will l make you uncomfortable and cause you to question your Americanized way of thinking, but it will also challenge you to be a more Godly woman.
I encourage you to read for yourself these few versus in Titus. But, before you do, I beg you to put down your rose-tinted glasses. Set aside all you preconceived notions about what an “American” wife and mother looks like. As you read, pray for God’s grace in your life that you may exemplify and teach other women these attributes.
Titus 2:3-5
"Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."
Girls, this is how we are to live out the gospel.  Notice, pursuing a great career is not on the list. Neither is attaining the perfect figure. Our lives are to be oriented around our husbands, children, and home.  This is God’s design. But, it makes us uncomfortable because we have allowed the views of our feminist culture to skew our thinking. Our skewed thinking causes us to pervert or ignore the Word of God. Our skewed thinking causes us to justify our lack of submissiveness and rationalize the other areas we don’t measure up.
For this, I must repent. I am guilty. I have listened to our culture's view of femininity over the Biblical view. I pray that the Holy Spirit would, through me, shine the Gospel as He conforms me to the Titus 2 virtues. I pray that we will spur one another on to be the women God has called us to be.  I pray that you would join me in standing up for Biblical womanhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment