Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Waiting.

Waiting. This is the ministry tool I have needed and practiced the most. Waiting does not come easily for me; I admit to being an impatient waiter. It is difficult when you want something so badly for the sake of the Kingdom, yet you have to wait, and wait, and wait. Waiting is not, and has never been my forte'. Yet, God continues to place me in seasons of waiting. There are many things I wait on at this particular moment. Most of them I am not at liberty to be specific about, which adds a heavy burden with my wait since I am, by nature, a talker!

There are so many things I wait to see happen in our church and ministry. I have prayed and prayed and still pray for an increase in spiritual growth, Biblical literacy, and love for Jesus. While God has moved in amazing ways in the past six months, I am not content. I want more of God. I want our church to want more of God. I yearn for the Holy Spirit to consume us. I desperately want to be at the point where that desire consumes me. I beg God to rip out of my life and our church the things that are not of Him. I beg him to make us sick with the desire to draw near to Him. I beg him to use FBCV to bring more glory to himself.

In these periods of waiting, I think of the first believers right after Jesus' ascension and before Pentecost. Acts reads, "Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey away. And when they had entered, they went up to the upper room, where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot and Judas the son of James. All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers." Acts 1:12-14. These believers had just seen Jesus ascend to heaven and had entered into a period of waiting. They were waiting on the coming of the Holy Spirit. I can't imagine the emotions they must have felt while in that upper room. I can only imagine the agony, despair, confusion and anticipation that was expressed as they poured out their hearts in prayer!

So, I am waiting. And praying. Waiting on God to MOVE as He sees fit. Waiting on others to see the will of God. Waiting to see His will for the future. Waiting. Praying.

 I know God keeps His promises and that he is Sovereign, yet I still find waiting difficult. I know there is much to learn during this season of waiting. I am learning to trust His timing. So, I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment